Winter Walling in an Art and Nature Park

An unexpected weather-window opened up this week allowing Chuck, Jared and I to begin work on a new project. A wooded mountaintop plateau in western Connecticut is the site of an art and nature park being created by Edward Tufte. His monumental sculptures already grace the open meadows at the south end of the property. Now, a series of new dry stone walls has begun to appear along the north end of the mountain spine. Edward and I co-direct the design and layout. A team of DSWA certified craftsmen build the walls and feature pieces.

© All rights reserved Dan Snow In the Company of Stone

, , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to Winter Walling in an Art and Nature Park

1. Michael Shea February 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm #

Dan,
    Is this park open to the public? Since I am in the NW Corner of CT, I would love to stop by.

• Dan Snow February 10, 2012 at 5:43 pm #

This is a private art park. Long-range plans include public access but it will be years before opening. Thanks for checking in, Michael.

2. Sean Donnelly January 26, 2012 at 5:19 pm #

Really nice work! I really need to try my hand at some of the singling..you three make a great team!

• Dan Snow January 27, 2012 at 10:21 pm #

Singling (one-stone-thick walling) allows light to pass through the structure. Silhouettes create the visual effect that stones float in the wall face. Sensations of light and airiness are what we hope to
      capture in these constructions. Thanks for checking it out, Sean.

3. Dan Snow January 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm #

The desire in producing environmental art is that the results will enhance the atmosphere of enjoyment already existing in nature.
    As you well know, T.J., dry stone walling is hard labor, but also a heck of a lot of fun.

4. Anonymous January 17, 2012 at 1:24 am #

I really like the lazy boy feature! Great Team, Great work. Sure looks like fun. T.J.

Powered by WordPress. Designed by Woo Themes