Contact Dan at email@example.com if you would like to sponsor a workshop, or have any workshop ideas, questions, comments or suggestions. Contact The Stone Trust for more information about workshops in Vermont.
THE STONE TRUST
The Stone Trust, 707 Kipling Rd, Dummerston, VT 05301.
The Stone Trust website: www.thestonetrust.org.
The Stone Trust Two Day Workshop: Bridge Build Sept 8 – Sept 9, 2018, 9 am – 5 pm
This workshop will spend the day learning how to shape stones for use in an arched bridge. The main priority will be making the voussoirs (tapered stones forming the arch). Both hand and power tools will likely be demonstrated and used. This stone shaping workshop will focus on making the stones needed for the bridge build in September. However, these techniques can be applied to all kinds of stone shaping and walling. The assumption is that participants taking this workshop already know at least the basics of dry stone walling. This workshop will delve into stone shaping and to a much greater level of detail than workshops that focus on wall building. To register, jump to The Stone Trust website.
PAST WORKSHOPS (full list on Dan's resume page)
- 2018 The Stone Trust Two Day Workshop: Feature Build, Dummerston, VT, May 5-6
- 2017 Dry stone features workshops, Norway, October.
- 2016 Wilder Cemetery, Volunteer Walling Day, Oct 23.
- 2016 Wilder Cemetery, Volunteer Walling Day, May 15.
- 2015 City of Boise, Dry Stone Walling Workshop, Boise WaterShed River Campus, Boise, ID, Oct 8-11.
- 2014 English Harbour Arts Centre, Stone Art Workshop, Trinity Bay, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland, Canada, July 27-31.
- 2014 Woody Point Dry Stone Walling Workshop, St. Patrick’s Church, Woody Point, Bonne Bay, Newfoundland, Canada, July 21-22.
- 2014 Stone Trust Spring Outdoor Workshop, Dummerston, Vermont, May 10-11.
- 2013 Stone Trust Fall Outdoor Workshop Sat-Sun, Dummerston, Vermont, Sept 7-8.
- 2013 Dry Stone Workshops at English Harbor Art Center, Trinity Bay, Newfoundland, Canada, July/August.
- 2013 Turtagrø, Norway, Firelight, Wall Dry Stone Walling Workshop, July 1-5.
- 2012 English Harbour Arts Center, Newfoundland, Canada, July/August.
- 2011 One Day Dry Stone Walling Workshop, Dummerston Hiking Trail, Dummerston, VT.
- 2011 Two five-day workshops to create land sculpture, artist-director, English Harbour Arts Center, Newfoundland, Canada.
- 2010 Workshop Instructor and Competition Judge, Dry Stone Conservancy, Lexington, KY.
- 2010 Six-day workshop, Hope Builders Group, Elkhart, IN.
- 2010 Barn foundation workshop, Deforest, WI.
- 2010 Two five-day workshops to create land sculpture, artist-director, English Harbour Arts Center, Newfoundland, Canada.
- 2010 Scott Farm Wall Building Workshop, Dummerston, VT.
- 2010 Parmelee Farm Stone Wall Workshop, Killingworth, CT.
- 2009 Parmelee Farm Stone Wall Workshop, Killingworth, CT.
- 2009 Lead instructor, 2-day Wall Workshop, Grand Valley, Ontario, Canada.
- 2009 Artist in residence, Kansas State University, sculpture installation with Landscape Architecture students, Beach Art Museum, Manhattan, KS.
- 2009 Five-day workshop to create land sculpture, artist-director, English Harbour Arts Center, Newfoundland, Canada.
- 2008-2009 Director for the re-creation of the 1796 Town Pound, 44 participants in five workshops, Dummerston, VT.
- 2008 Lead Instructor, 3 day walling workshop, Mohonk Preserve, New Paltz, NY.
- 2007 Leader, 1 day walling workshop, Hinesburg Land Trust, Hinesburg, VT.
- 2007 Instructor, two-week Environmental Art Workshop, Koli National Park, University of Art and Design, Helsinki, Finland.
- 2007 Instructor, 2-day, 24 person, stone workshop, Great River Arts Institute, Dummerston, VT.
- 2006 Leader, 2-day, 24 person, walling workshop, Great River Arts Institute, Brattleboro, VT.
- 2005 Instructor, California Landscape Contractors Association Convention Center trade show, Los Angeles, CA.
- 2002 Instructor, week-long, dry stone walling workshop, Isles of Shoals, Gulf of Maine, NH.
ART AWARDS, STONE STUDIES AND CERTIFICATIONS
- 2014 Vermont Arts Council, Creation Grant.
- 2013, 2009, 2006 Standardization and Assessment (Examiner) Courses, Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain.
- 2010 Master Craftsman Certificate, Dry Stone Conservancy.
- 2001 Master Craftsman Certificate, Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain.
- 1998 Instructor Training Course, Dry Stone Walling Association of Great Britain.
- 1981 National Endowment for the Arts grant to study amphitheater construction.
- 1972 Stonemason apprentice on 13th century castle restoration, Tuscany, Italy.
With thanks to Michael Turek for the Newfoundland workshop storyboard.