Q & A Stone Wall Stile

From a recent email discussion.

Q. I'm very interested in the history of the walls found here in southern RI. One of our old timer friends told me that the steps that are built into the side of walls to aid climbing over the wall, at one time, was called a "pardon". I was wondering if you ever heard this term?

A. I haven't heard or seen the word "pardon" used as a descriptor for steps in a stone wall, but I like it. "Stile" is commonly used in England.

Please comment on this post if you have any knowledge to share!