UPCOMING LECTURES, EXHIBITS & TALKS
Northern Green, Wednesday January 16, 2019
Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota
For more information contact: Susan Flynn at email@example.com and http://northerngreen.org
ARTSCAPING IN DRY STONE: Delightful Curiosities: A Visual Tour of Purpose-built Enigmas
Ancient ruins, solid geometry and geologic formations have inspired and informed the creation of Snow’s contemporary stoneworks. His handcrafted sculptures partner with garden and nature to express new ideas in the open-air. A select number of projects from the USA, Canada and Northern Europe will be displayed and discussed, highlighting their relationship to art, craft and environment.
ARTSCAPING IN DRY STONE: Examining Process in the Creation of One-of-kind Stoneworks
Reverse engineering the process of completing a work in dry stone reveals the steps that made it unique. Snow will break down recent projects into the elements that shaped them. Site potential, material availability, guide fabrication, craft standards and personal motivation are blended into, and balanced for, each distinct work.
PAST LECTURES, EXHIBITS & TALKS
- Summer Authors at the Aldrich Series, reading, July 2018, Aldrich Public Library, Barre, VT.
- Springfield (VT) Library & Garden Club Lecture, Dry Stone Art in Nature. April 11, 2018, Springfield Town Library, Springfield, VT.
- Film Screening: Stone Rising: The Work of Dan Snow. Directed by Camilla Rockwell, 2005, USA, 57 Minutes PREVIEW. Q&A with director Camilla Rockwell. Wednesday, February 21, 2018. Sponsored by The Architecture & Design Film Series and Burlington City Arts. Contois Auditorium, Burlington City Hall, Burlington, VT.
- New Hampshire Landscape Association: From Practical to Fantastical, November 14, 2017, 5 -8 pm, Manchester, NH.
- Korpo Library Artist Talk: Something from Nothing: Making Art With Available Resources, Tuesday 26 Sept 2017, Korpo bibliotek Verkanvägen 1 21710 Korpo / Korppoon, Finland.
- The Cultural Landscape Foundation Garden Dialogues 2017: Vermont Dialogue with Robin Key of RKLA Studio in conversation with Dan Snow, Jul 15, 2017, South Londonderry, VT.
- Woodstock Garden Club Annual Fall Lecture, Woodstock, VT.
- Reflecting on the Woodland Fences at Stone Hill. Essay & voice recording for exhibit Sensing Place: Reflecting on Stone Hill. The Clark, 225 South Street, Williamstown, MA.
- Horticultural Alliance of the Hamptons, Dry Stone Art in the Landscape, Bridgehampton, NY.
- Eyes on the Land, Exhibit, Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, VT, October 3, 2015 to January 3, 2016
- Eyes on the Land, PechaKucha Night, Shelburne Museum, Shelburne, VT.
- Dry Stone Art in the Landscape: Fleeting Thoughts and Works of Friction, Visiting Artist Lecture, Boise, ID, USA.
- Built to Last: Dry Stone Design and Construction, NJ ASLA Annual Meeting, Atlantic City, NJ.
- Garden Inspirations Workshop & Film Screening: Stone Rising, Brattleboro, VT.
- Readings from Gardening on Granite, with Gordon Hayward, Rice Mountain, Walpole, NH.
- The Garden Conservancy’s Open Days Program, Borderline Farm, Winhall, VT.
- From Practical to Fantastical, Dry Stone Walling Workshop evening slide-talk, Turtagrø, Norway.
- Working with Stone: Creating Connections in Time, Vermont Flower Show, Essex Junction, VT.
- Stone and Art in Nature, ET Modern Gallery, 547 West 20th Street, New York, NY.
- Authors of Dummerston Exhibit, Dummerston Historical Society Schoolhouse, Dummerston Center, VT.
- TICKON Art Park, Stone Art Building in Nature: Creating a Connection with the Spirit of Place, lecture, Sukkerfabrikken, Slottsgade 76, Tranekær, Langeland, Denmark.
- Why do I Make Art?, Exhibit Opening and Symposium Lecture, 2011 Reikaa Avaruudessa, Hole in the Universe, Kerava Art Museum, Aalto University, Helsinki, Finland.
- Art and the Working Landscape, Earth Day Celebration, lecture, Green Mountain College, Poultney, VT.
- Working With Stone: Creating A Connection With The Spirit Of Place, Gardens and Spirit Series, lecture, co-sponsored by Trinity Church and the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University, Trinity Church, Boston, MA.
- Artscaping: The Design and Installation of Land-Made Sculptures, lecture, New England Grows Conference, Boston, MA.
- Landscaping and Art Making: Two Sides of the Same Coin, lecture, National Green Centre, St. Louis, MO, January 9th.
- Lecture and Book Reading, Dry Stone Conservancy, Lexington, KY.
- Evolving as an art maker through the medium of dry stone, lecture, Still Mountain Center, Washington, CT.
- LIMITS = POTENTIAL: Dry Stone as a Medium of Expression, Lee A Bryant Lecture Series, Kansas State University, Beach Art Museum, Manhattan, KS.
- Panel discussion, talk, slide presentation Photography: The Key to Getting your Project Published, ALA, Chicago, IL.
- Guest waller, artist in residence and presenter for “Real-Work” studies program, Harley School, Rochester, NY.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Phoenix Books and Vermont Department of Agriculture, Essex, VT.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Briggs Carriage House, Brandon, VT.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Brown Dog Books, Hinesburg, VT.
- An Introduction to Building Dry Stone Walls, lecture, Traditional Building Conference, Boston, MA.
- Art and the Working Landscape: Shaping our Environment Today, Rockingham Free Library, Bellows Falls, VT.
- Interview, “Word of Mouth”, host Virginia Prescott, NHPR, Concord, NH.
- Book reading and slide presentation, River Run Books, Portsmouth, NH.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Longfellow Books, Portland, ME.
- Lecture and book reading, Hardy Plant Club and Bear Pond Books, Montpelier, VT.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Northshire Bookstore, Manchester, VT.
- Lecture, Monadnock Writers’ Group, Peterborough, NH.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Village Square Books, Bellows Falls, VT.
- Book reading and slide presentation, Toadstool Books, Keene, NH.
- Book reading, Vermont Bookshop, Middlebury, VT.
- Book reading, slide presentation and screening of “Stone Rising”, Phoenix Books, Essex, VT.
- Book reading, Yankee Bookshop, Woodstock, VT.
- Book signing, Verde, Brattleboro, VT.
- Book reading, Book Cellar, Brattleboro, VT.
- Lecture, the 8th Annual Gathering of the Stone Foundation, Barre Granite Museum, Barre, VT.
- Talk and tour, Maze of Walls, sculpture installation, benefit Town Hall Theatre and GRAI, Cornwall, VT.
- Stone Sculpture Tour, benefit Great River Arts Institute, various installation sites, Southern Vermont.
- Featured Speaker, “The Creative Process”, Springfield School District Opening Day, Springfield, VT.
- Lecture, Stone Seminar, Koli, Finland
- Stone Sculpture Tour, Benefit Great River Arts, various installation sites, Southern Vermont.
- James Otis Follett, master arch stone bridge builder, lecture, Hooker-Dunham Theater, Brattleboro, VT.
- Stone Sculpture Tour, benefit, Great River Arts Institute, various installation sites, Southern Vermont.
- Fermentation, Workshop and Seminar in Environmental Art, lecture, University of Art and Design. Helsinki, Finland.
- Walling Workshop, Bonnyvale Environmental Education Center. Brattleboro, Vermont
- Spirit & Vision, In the Future of an Imagined Past, guided tours of contemporary and traditional dry stone structures.; lecture: “Stone Unknown”, Brattleboro Museum & Art Center, Brattleboro, VT.
- Norwegian Dry Arch Bridges and Irish Lace Walls, lecture, Stone Foundation Symposium, Santa Fe, NM.
- Lecture, Management Clinic, Dry Stone Built Landscape Features, American Nursery and Landscape Association, Louisville, KY.
- Facing the Elements, Landscape Design Symposium, lecture, School of the Chicago Botanic Garden. Chicago, IL.
- Guest lecture, Dry Stone Conservancy, Lexington, KY.
- Featured speaker, fall meeting of NEARA (New England Antiquities Research Association), Stratton, VT.
- Dry Stone Generated Designs for the Landscape, lecture, New Hampshire Landscapers Association, U.N.H., Durham, NH.
- New Forms and Uses for Dry Stone Walls in the Landscape, lecture, Educational Sessions, New England Grows Conference, Boston, MA.